Saturday, May 15, 2010

Late Registration

Broadstreetrun.com indicated that interested runners could register for the titular race by March 31st, though by now enough time has passed that I can't remember all the details and the site may have in fact said April 1st. At any rate, I logged in on March 27th, which should have given me enough of a buffer to register for the race in time.

Buffering…buffering…buffering…

When I logged in, I was greeted by a banner at the top of the page. It said that the race was full and that registration was now closed. I don't blame the organization charged with managing the race at all; the original notice probably said "…until March 31st or until race reaches capacity" and I misread it. Plus, the race was May 2nd, which was during the peak of finals-related stress. So, it's been a fun six weeks or so, but my failure to register on time doomed my chances for a spot in the race.

It is difficult to come up with something interesting to say every day without becoming stale or repetitive. I thought about standardizing the column by creating a few fields – say, Music Listened To, Miles Ran, Noticed – and updating them every day. But, I think it cheapens the writing when an occasionally amusing gimmick is used as a crutch, though since everything I write is based on run-on sentences and the 1994 NBA season, I don't know that there's much quality left to corrupt.

After taking roughly two weeks off from moving in order to deal with classwork, I've started running again since moving home. The past few days I've ran between four and five miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment