Saturday, October 16, 2010

Just Gotta Execute

My relationship with Twitter has evolved considerably over the last year. At first, I did nothing but go to twitter.com/sportsguy33 500 times per day to see if Bill Simmons had tweeted anything. I didn't even have my own screen name. Eventually, I signed up for one and began following dozens of celebrities and athletes. This was the great appeal of Twitter – the ability to have people like P. Diddy communicate directly with me. I soon abandoned the site because watching Reggie Bush and Kim Kardashian tweet at each other all day was mind bogglingly boring.

I assumed I would never go back to Twitter, but this past semester my friend Jason revamped his Twitter so that he was only following journalists and news sources. I copied him, and the change was incredible. The ability to have Adam Schefter and Marc Stein constantly updating me on the sports world via the Twitter app on my BlackBerry was fantastic. Having a Twitter app feels like having tabbed browsing on a phone, and I can't get enough of it.

Still, Twitter remains hilarious due to the prevalence of hashtags. Hashtags are a way to categorize tweets. People make lame Twitter jokes with fake hashtags all the time #ThingsIDoandAmNowBeingHypocritical. My friends and I sometimes come up with fake hashtags to make each other laugh.

This morning, I was late for a meeting at the credit union I work for and tweeted the following: "Showed up late for my own meeting, bouta fine myself #teamdiscipline #joshmcdaniels." My friend Jason and I realized that #teamdiscipline is pretty funny and we ran with it. The following are the highlights from our conversation (with Twitter screen names I made up for privacy's sake). For those not familiar with Twitter, the first screename which follows @ is the person who is tweeting, the second one is the person for whom the tweet is intended. You have to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy these. Remember that adding a hashtag to something is supposed to give it gravitas and depth,.

@guybuddy: @friendguy protect your gaps #teamdiscipline

@friendguy: @guybuddy been in the film room since 5 am #teamdiscipline

@friendguy: @guybuddy just got to the team bus at noon, we're supposed to leave at 6 pm. Not taking chances #teamdiscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy heading to the locker room for the team dinner #teamdiscipline

@friendguy: @guybuddy chillin wit players who play the game the right way discussing #teamdiscipline

@friendguy: @guybuddy Jason varitek wes welker and david Epstein speaking to the guys this morning about #teamdiscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy making sure not to tweet during the game #teamdiscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy put the playbook under my pillow #teamdiscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy making sure not to jump the snap #teamdiscipline

@friendguy: @guybuddy not leading with my helmet #teamdiscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy can't be distracted by the cheerleaders #teamdiscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy making sure not to step out of bounds before I get thrown to #teamdiscipline

@friendguy: @guybuddy going straight to the locker room and ignoring reporters, gotta get a head start on prep for next week #teamdiscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy reestablishing my feet after entering the end zone to establish #fieldposition #teamdiscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy winning one for the gipper #teamdiscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy giving turkeys away outta this truck to give back to the community #nflcares #teamdiscipline

@friendguy: @guybuddy making sure to listen to the cadences properly #teamdiscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy can't hit the guy in the red jersey in practice #teamdiscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy making sure all the text in my playbook is Helvetica #fontdiscipline

@friendguy: @guybuddy bouta put on this goofy mask and stab some teams #screamdiscipline

@friendguy: @guybuddy bouta watch that rickroll video again #memediscipline

@guybuddy: @friendguy radio killa killa killa #DREAMdiscipline


…I am easily amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment