Saturday, October 16, 2010

Rain , Sleet, Snow, Hail

Last week I decided it would be cool to do an entire column where I respond to reader mail. The problem is, my readership is zero. It used to be much wider but thanks to audience fragmentation, cable television and the blogosphere, my blog is currently read by maybe ten people. Double digits though!

I asked the ten people who read this blog to come up with questions and ask me them. Pathetic? Yes. But still, I've never responded to mail before and it seems fun. Since Fundamentally Soundd is a family-friendly blog, I screened questions for content and was forced to delete several questions plus a few pictures Dan texted me. Here's the best of what they came up with:

When do you think people on ESPN will stop acting surprised when the Cowboys keep losing?

I hate my friends.

I am an avid reader of your blog and have been betting large sums of money in Las Vegas based upon your NFL predictions and am now almost broke. What gives?

I am never asking my friends for suggestions ever again.


Most underrated historical figure that was a gunslinger?

It's been a long time since I've written about gunslinging. The most underrated historical gunslinger is the caveman who decided to drink milk from a different animal. Jerry Seinfeld had a great bit about this – "Was this guy looking at these udders thinking…'I can't wait to get a hit of that!'" I'd love to see Mark Schlereth and the gang break down Unknown Caveman's ability to milksling "just like a little kid out there".

Mark: "guys, if you want protein in your diet in this era…YOU HAVE TO BE WILLING TO TAKE SHOTS DOWN THE FIELD."

The NFL Network was running one if its awesome "America's Game" documentaries, and I recently watched one which chronicled the 1998 Denver Broncos. They showed a few clips of Terrell Davis and asked Mark Schlereth to describe his teammate. Mark said, in all seriousness, "THAT GUY…was a FOOTBALL PLAYER. [stares into camera]".

Should Brett Favre switch to maybe a smaller number…?

This question is funnier than any joke I can possibly make about it. Sometimes, you just have to know when not to remix a classic. I almost wrote "when to not remix a classic", but I'm all about not splitting infinitives now. Splitting infinitives used to be cool, but now I can only enjoy it ironically.

The new name for the Nets?

I remember reading "Brooklyn Bridges" somewhere, which I'm a huge fan of for several reasons. First, it's a name which is unique to the area. The Brooklyn Bridge is iconic. I hate when a team tries to be "fierce" with its nickname – it's the ugly sibling of being "sleek" with its uniform. Second, it hints at the potential international appeal of the team now that Mikhail Prokharov is in charge.

NFL Fever on XBOX was a lot of fun because it melded the best elements of Blitz and Madden. NFL Herpes on XBOX was way less fun, and I can see why Microsoft pulled the plug on its line of football games. Anyway, in that game (I think) you were able to play as a team dressed in suits and ties called the Lawyers or something. Similarly, my friend Steve and I had the idea to start a football team in Williamsburg named the Brooklyn Hipsters. Our home uniforms would be cutoff jhorts and undersized Christian Laettner Dream Team jerseys. Dov Charney Memorial Stadium would be packed for two weeks, but then people would stop showing up because we were too popular. Then, in five seasons, people would be fans of the franchise again because we were vintage.

The concession stands would sell nothing but moonshine and beef jerky. We'd play songs from Rocky on the P.A. system because we're not from Philadelphia (this is actually something that real franchises do that I cannot stand. Rocky was not from San Antonio, Mr. Spurs Audio Guy).

Segway President dies falling off a cliff on a Segway? What is the most ironic death ever?

This was actually a bit sad. The man, Jimi Heselden, was a billionaire philanthropist who apparently did a lot of great things for his hometown. He smoothly transitioned into being the president of Segway from being the president of something unrelated in a way which did not seem forced.

Best fantasy team name you've heard?

This is very, very difficult. I'm reminded of the classic Simpsons quote in the episode where Homer joins a barbershop quartet. He and his three friends are looking for a band name, and they agree that it has to be something "which is clever at first, but gets progressively less clever every time you hear it." All fantasy names are like that, even the best ones.

What's a better system: a regular season where individual games are essentially meaningless and only the playoffs matter (the team has to get hot at the right time) or one in which EVERY game counts (EPL, college football) and your season can end if you mess up in the first game of the season? I think that the former system is more in line with the American spirit of the underdog always has a shot, otherwise we would still remember the 2007 Pats as the greatest ever. What do you think?

Interesting question. I love the life-or-death nature of college football but it's tough to top NFL playoff weekends. The MLB regular season is horrible, but I love how baseball only allows four teams into its postseason every year. MLB postseason membership is pretty elitist. Most of the teams only got in because their respective dads went there. I WAS PRESIDENT OF THE PAN-ASIAN ROTARY COMMUNITY SERVICE RED CROSS CLUB AND I DIDN'T GET INTO THE MLB POSTSEASON!!!!!!

…..

I really enjoyed the questions, so thanks to my friends for coming up with them. Keep them coming. In my picks league, I had another terrible week and went 6-8. Dan is two picks ahead of Vadim for the top spot, and I'm eight behind Dan. I won the championship last year and my title defense continues to suck, though I've always been a fan of the phrase "Super Bowl Hangover" because I can pretend that Sean Payton was blackout drunk during the title game. Hopefully I start to get hot in Week 6. Home teams are in bold, wish me luck:

Chicago Bears (-6.5) over Seattle Seahawks

Can't trust an NFC West team on the road.

Baltimore Ravens over New England Patriots (-2.5)

Justin Bieber actually made fun of Tom Brady's hair this week. The rap lyrics in which he did it were completely nonsensical – the line to set up the Brady diss was "Sacked like a sacker." Believing in the Patriots right now is similar to liking Nutella or MGMT; defensibly quirky, but not really bold.

New York Giants (-10.5) over Detroit Lions

The Giants' running game and defense has been so impressive recently that Manning threw three picks last week, on the road against a great offense, and the team still won by 24 points. I assume The Book of Eli was mostly just Denzel wandering around in the desert and throwing interceptions.

Philadelphia Eagles (-1.5) over Atlanta Falcons

The Eagles are the best team in the NFC right now, and the Falcons are a complete fraud. This team could easily be 2-3 if it weren't for two plays: Nate Clements pulling a Marlon McCree and Garrett Hartley missing a 29 yard field goal.

Pittsburgh Steelers (-13.5) over Cleveland Browns

Colt McCoy is an awesome name for a gunslinging quarterback, but sadly Colt McCoy was apparently born without bones in his right shoulder. I think he'll be injured by halftime, then Josh Cribbs will come in and play admirably in a losing effort. I would love this situation because it reminds of the few times per year when a random utility infielder has to be a relief pitcher in baseball because the manager already used the other pitchers.

Green Bay Packers (-1.5) over Miami Dolphins

Big statement game for the Packers. I feel like too many people have hopped off the Green Bay bandwagon. This team is good enough to make the Super Bowl and lose by twenty to Pittsburgh. I live with a Steelers fan and he's gonna be walkin' around here like Scuba Steve braggin' about how much action he got once the Steelers win the title.

San Diego Chargers over St. Louis Rams (+8.5)

The Chargers are the anti-Falcons in the sense that they should be 4-1 if it wasn't for special teams debacles in Seattle and Oakland. I believe in "football efficiency", in that whichever team won a given game was the better team and deserved to win. Is this contradictory? Yes, and doublethink is doubleplusungood.

Tampa Bay Bucs (+5.5) over New Orleans Saints

Kansas City Chiefs over Houston Texans (-4.5)

I'm all over the Chiefs bandwagon. Great uniforms too – simple, classic, elegant.

San Francisco 49ers (-6.5) over Oakland Raiders

David Carr, Jesse Palmer, Jim Sorgi, Jared Lorenzen, Danny Kannell, Kent Graham, Dave Brown, Kurt Warner, Kerry Collins. Random Giants backups from over the years.

New York Jets over Denver Broncos (+3.5)

In 2008, Brett Favre led the Jets to a win over the previously undefeated Titans to get the Jets to 8-4 and everyone thought the Jets were on their way to winning the AFC. The next week, they got slaughtered by the Broncos in the Meadowlands and the season soon fell apart. Last week, the Jets had a similarly huge win and people like me think that they're the second best team in the league. I don't think they're gonna blow it this time. Jets win big.

In fact, the league hierarchy looks so different than it did for the last decade. Basically, each year, the Colts and Pats were the top two teams in the regular season and it surprising when one of them didn't win the title. Here's how the league looks now:

Tier One: Steelers, Jets, Ravens (in order)
Tier Two: Colts, Patriots
Tier Three: Chiefs, Texans, Saints, Chargers, Titans Packers, Eagles, Giants, Falcons (not in order)
Tier Four: Bucs, Redskins, Vikings, Bears

Surprising, but the gap between Tier One and the rest of the league is huge.

Indianapolis Colts over Washington Redskins (+3.5)

Jacksonville Jaguars (+3.5) over Tennessee Titans

And the game of the week:

Dallas Cowboys (-1.5) over Minnesota Vikings

I'm only picking the Cowboys because they're my favorite team. I fully expect Randy Moss to single-handedly eviscerate Dallas the way he has done since 1998, and I expect Bill Cowher to be the Cowboys' coach by halftime.

Last Week: 6-8
Season: 31-43





No comments:

Post a Comment