Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Waiting for Udoh

Note: I wrote the majority of this before yesterday's Dallas-New York game on Monday Night Football. Nothing about Romo in this column, though I'm shell-shocked and can't remember an NFL season ever being as cruel and hopeless as this one. As usual, the next NFL column will be posted at some point before Sunday at 1 pm.

During the height of SAT stress in high school, I noticed a certain class of people who would walk around with thick SAT prep books all day. They obviously weren't doing any studying, but they wanted you to know that THEY WERE CONSTANTLY TRYING TO IMPROVE. JUST GOTTA KEEP WORKIN'!!!. THIS IS A PICTURE OF GLEN DAVIS'S FACE, WHICH IS THE EMBODIMENT OF HARD WORK AND SOLID EXECUTION:

When these people graduated high school, they apparently all got subscriptions to The Economist, which they also carry around all day. This semester, I've seen a few people per class using an iPad to read similar high end magazines.

I was thinking of getting an iPad since I have some money saved up. My main motivation is to have a collection of impressive looking apps - WSJ, NYT, The New Yorker, etc. - and fool people into thinking I'm literate. I don't mean well-read. I mean literate. The ladies love literacy, which is why I frequently walk around with a UNICEF box just so I have a way to start conversations with them. Oh you didn't hear? Puppies were the new toddlers, but now UNICEF boxes are the new puppies. #hipster

Speaking of Adam Morrison, I need to give him credit for winning two titles despite being born with an ironic moustache. Oh you didn't hear? Street clothes are the new double-double.

I don't even know if I'd get an iPad if I chose to buy a tablet. Several other tech companies, including Research in Motion, Dell, and Hewlett-Packard, are debuting tablets as well and some of them seem to have nicer features than the iPad. The Lenovo U1 Tablet claims to have an 11.6 inch screen, but come on, that's obviously made up. Nobody has an 11.6 inch screen.

Anyway, the biggest upside of getting a tablet would be NBA Game Time, which is an app which allows you to watch every game. I had the same application on my laptop last year, but that's weak. The ladies don't want to watch simultaneous action from 12 NBA games on a laptop. Gotta step my game up.

The NBA season starts tomorrow, which means I'll finally have something to distract me from this awful Cowboys season. I became a Mavericks fan once the Nets decided to stomp all over New Jersey (and, obviously, my childhood team is leaving the state meaning I no longer have any reason to support them).

Two years ago I started watching Thunder games regularly. I didn't switch allegiances to them by any means, but it was fun to watch a young team with a budding superstar play in front of an electric crowd every night. And by "budding superstar", I do not mean Josh Howard.

Last year, the Thunder won over fifty games – or, as I call it, selling out and going mainstream. I couldn’t keep the Thunder as my mistress anymore. I know it seems like I’m mixing metaphors by first comparing the Thunder to an indie band and then to an illicit girlfriend, but in reality I’m actually referring to the indie band known as Mistress. You probably haven’t heard of them.

Kevin Durant is the best player in the league and he wasn’t even able to get in to bars two years ago, though he could probably get into this one bar on campus named Cavanaugh’s which is like the National Honor Society in the sense that everybody is allowed in. The Oklahoma City crowd is so good that I barely whine about Seattle anymore, even though the Sonics leaving is almost as cruel as when the Houston Euhlers backwardly recursed their way to Tennessee in 1997. I imagine the Oklahoma City crowd yells folksy things like “Thatta Boy!” after their team displays solid fundamentals on the court (nothing flashy, hun!). Little known fact: the phrase “thatta boy” is actually derived from Thaddeus A. Boy, a 19th century general store owner from Appalachia known for boxing out and crisp outlet passes.

So, I switched over to the Sacramento Kings for the 2009-10 season. The Kings had the nostalgia factor going for them because of the 2002 Western Conference Finals. Plus, I met Jason Thompson last year and he’s a really nice guy. The Kings aren’t going to win fifty games this year, but I would like to jump over to a different team nonetheless.

This year, I’m going with the Golden State Warriors. Led by Ekpe Udoh, the Warriors fit my criteria for a fun mistress team since they will have a great offense but lose 55 games. Perfect. David Lee’s defense was horrible in New York, but combining him with Monta Ellis and Steph Curry should make for a fun season.

I will be hating on the Miami Heat as I’ve hated on no team since the Yankees during the heyday of C. Montgomery Steinbrenner. Still, I hope their three stars stay healthy for the entire season. I think the 2008 NFL season should have an asterisk because Tom Brady didn’t play, and I’d hate to say the same about the 2010-11 NBA season. I don’t really like writing (or talking) about race or politics, and like most people I thought LeBron’s comments on race to CNN were misguided. Apparently, I was wrong.

A poll conducted by ESPN found that LeBron was viewed favorably post-Decision by something like 33% of whites and 65% of blacks. It would be interesting to see what the breakdown was before The Decision, but LeBron’s point remains unfortunately valid. Obviously, people aren’t racist for disliking James. But that wasn’t the King’s point. He just said that race appears to be a factor, and the data seem to support him in the sense that his approval ratings vary by race. The root of my distrust for race-based arguments is my cousin, who is convinced the New York Times crossword puzzle is racist.

LeBron’s newest Nike commercial premiered yesterday and it has already gone viral. I loved it for all the reasons I hated The Decision. It combined a critique of societal expectations of athletes with self-depreciative humor and made me question why I wanted him to stay in Cleveland so badly. I still wish he had stayed, but the commercial made those of us who rode high horses in the cavalry against LeBron look pretty stupid. LeBron’s going to destroy the league this year with a comeback reminiscent of the album T.I. vs T.I.P, which I assume was a comeback from the awful album T.I. vs TI-89 in which the infamous rapper questions the credibility of calculators.

One final thought about the Heat: My friend Dan made fun of the dynamic among James, Wade and Bosh in such a hilarious way a week ago that I feel compelled to pass it on. Dan noticed that whenever there’s an interview with all three of them, James and Wade will be talking about winning championships and being committed to team-first basketball, whereas Bosh will only talk about being committed to each other. Seriously, it’s completely creepy and suggests that Bosh is a little too excited to be playing in Miami. Dan’s impression of an interview with the Big Three:

Wade: I’m not too worried about putting up great numbers. Our main goal is to win a title.

LeBron: I agree entirely. Winning is the ultimate goal here, not chasing individual accomplishments.

Bosh: NOTHING WILL EVER TEAR US APART!!!!!!

I’m not going to make any predictions for the coming season. The NBA, unlike the NFL, doesn’t have much parity at the top. This means that we’re pretty much guaranteed that the last four teams will be Boston, Miami, L.A. and Oklahoma City unless Portland or Orlando pulls an upset. I have no problem making outlandish predictions in the NFL because in a one-game playoff system, anything is possible. This isn’t true for the NBA, which means that the only deviation from my picks and actual experts’ picks will be the lower playoff seeds. Hardly worth writing about.

Instead, I’ll close with a quick story about my new favorite basketball player, Chris Douglas-Roberts. CDR was an honorable mention All-American at Memphis and played two seasons in New Jersey. He’s now a member of the Bucks and writes one of the wittiest Twitter feeds I’ve seen. I friended him on Facebook and sent him a message (he has no wall) which said the following:

Me: Hey, I’m a huge Nets fan but I just wanted to wish you luck next season. Good luck. Best, Satya.

Two weeks later, I got a response:

Chris Douglas-Roberts: Hey man, thanks for the wishes. I know us athletes are nothing without our fans.

I was stunned that an actual professional athlete had taken the time to respond to my idiotic Facebook message. It was amazing. Or, in the parlance of snarky blogs everywhere…

/where amazing happens’d.

No comments:

Post a Comment