Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pestle and Mortar

Days 10 – 13, March 11-14 2010

Food Wars premiered on the Travel Channel on Tuesday and immediately became my favorite current show on TV. The premise of the show is simple: most cities have a signature food and two iconic restaurants battle over which makes the better product (think Pat's vs. Geno's for cheesesteaks in Philly). Food Wars's charming hostess walks us through seven minute mini-documentaries on the rivals before each submits a finished dish for a blind taste test to a panel of locals who determine which makes the "true" cheesesteak, or deep dish pizza, or whatever.

I mention this because several housemates intend on hosting a barbeque and my hope is that some sort of rivalry breaks out. Neil, the current burger-making champion, may be challenged by Mak for the title. If there was a Tale of the Tape, Neil would be listed as the defending champion, 5'10'', and from the Mid-Atlantic region which is known for its fertile soil and temperate climate. Most of my knowledge of Neil is actually from my fourth grade social studies textbook. Also, he has a fondness for laxatives.

Mak is from both Bosnia and Herzegovina. Dan once described his burgers as having "a secret ingredient, but the secret ingredient is Worcestershire sauce and burning it". Mak is a heavy underdog.

Food and running are perfect inverses in terms of how enjoyable they are. Running is excruciating, but the sweaty, triumphant walk from the gym to the shower is worth the pain that the miles bring. Food, contrarily, brings instant gratification and feelings of lethargy or gluttony afterwards.

I finally got back on my grind for three miles of misery on Day 11 and three more on Day 14. These aren't good numbers. I cramped up in the second mile, which forced me to abandon my intention of running six. My hope is that the end of spring break and its indulgences will be a positive development for my training.

No comments:

Post a Comment