Friday, March 12, 2010

Sick

Day 9: March 10 2010

After spending ten hours driving home from Toronto, I spent two more driving back to Jersey from Philadelphia. I had a fever.

Being home sick reminded me of all those times growing up when I couldn't make it to school. When I was young, it meant that one of my parents would stay home with me and feed me some delicious pink antibiotic. As I got older, I spent my time watching the Nick Jr. morning lineup or the same episode of SportsCenter five times in a row and then worrying about how much schoolwork I was missing.

I wonder what it's like to grow up in the South or West where the weather isn't miserable from late October to early March. People don't usually get sick during the warm weather months. Maybe those kids don't have memories of "Hi there, Face here! (trumpet sound)" or Barry Melrose breaking down a Hartford Whalers game, but maybe that's a good thing.

Today, I got home at three, watched Tuesday's phenomenal Lost episode, and spent the next eight hours napping or watching NBATV. Since there weren't any NBA games on until later, the channel spent its time discussing the NBA D-League, which is kind of like a minor league for basketball. Lot of hype for Saturday's Tulsa 66ers vs Rio Grande Valley Vipers showdown presented by Papa John's. My assumption is that Rio Grande Valley chose to represent an entire region so they could maximize their fan base, much like the New England Patriots.

Since I got a phone with a Facebook app on it, I haven't been on the actual Facebook website in a while. I logged on today to respond to one of my friend's messages. He is studying abroad in Argentina and said that he found a vending machine whose poster is an image of Grant Hill on the Pistons instead of a glossy Coke bottle splashed with ice. I wonder if this is a common phenomenon in countries with a history of hyperinflation. I hope Theo Ratliff is on Aquafina machines in Belarus.

I took TheraFlu, Claritin, and six times the recommended daily dosage of Vitamin C in an effort to heal as quickly as possible. Today is March 10 and the last time I ran was March 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment